Sunday, November 14, 2010

labor and delivery.

So, I got all 4 wisdom teeth out on Friday. Although I am quite zonked out still on Tylenol 3s, it might not make much sense and I will edit it as soon as I quit taking them ahhaha. Well I was rather scared going into it, but turns out it was a piece of cake! I have never been through any sort of pain before I had Cash, so getting my wisdom teeth out was the next biggest thing and it got me thinking and I decided to post about my labor/delivery. It might contain too much information, but its an important part (duh!) of my story. So here goes.
My due date was June 17th, 2010. I woke up that morning around 11:00 and had really bad back pain. I figured it was nothing, since my back had been hurting for quite awhile. My mom was at work, and I didnt want to bother her. So I layed on the couch in a lot of pain for all morning/afternoon. My dad and brother came home for lunch (they own a contracting business, and the shop is in my backyard so they come in often) and my brother came down and watched some of the movie with me. I was  trying hard to hide my pain, but I think he could tell something was wrong. As soon as they left I called my mom and told her what was going on. She said she would come home but I told her I was okay. (I might have lied, haha) So she came home around 4 and realized that I was in a lot of pain. I had been timing my contractions all day, and they were roughly 5 minutes apart for the whole time. Some were just in my back, but then I would get them in my stomach everyone in awhile as well. Let me tell you, that wasn't fun! We did all we could at home.. I rolled on a big exercise ball, had a shower and bath, got a massage from my mom.. but eventually came to the realization that THIS WAS IT. I did my hair and makeup before we went into the hospital haha.. I couldn't look gross in the pictures! So in between contractions I packed our bags and off we went. I was nervous, to say the least. I wasn't necessarily scared of the delivery, because I had researched a lot of things and found the best way to get through it was just to relax. So we checked into the hospital around 6, and they did some tests. I hadn't dilated at all, so they gave me Demerol and sent me home. It was amazing stuff! haha. It worked for a really long time- it relaxed me enough throughout the contractions so they didn't hurt as bad. I could definitely still feel them, but I wasn't tensing up at all, so I got through them a lot easier. It was almost as if I didn't even care it was happening haha. I recommend it to everyone having a baby! I sat in a chair in our family room for a few hours and tried to sleep. Since I was so drugged up I'm not exactly sure if I slept or not! Anyways, I started having a lot more contractions around 1130 or so, and it got to the point where I would do anything to get back to that hospital for more demerol haha.. I started panicking and getting scared because I realized it was going to happen so soon, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to my baby just yet.. I was so excited to see him, but it was definitely bitter-sweet. Mom and I went back to the hospital and my waters broke soon after. They checked me and I had already dilated to 6 cm in that short 3 hour time! They quickly moved me to a delivery room and got everything set up. I couldn't believe it was almost time to see him! I was excited.


As you can imagine, I was pretty out of it because of all the pain (like I am right now), so I didn't really know what was going on around me. Sometime around midnight or so, Nikki arrived. I don't remember calling her, but I was so glad she was there! Curtis came too, but they wouldn't let him in to see me because only 2 people are allowed in the delivery room, and my mom and Nikki were already there. So he waited in the waiting room with his family. I got a little morphine since I had an IV for a bacterial thing anyways, and they offered an epidural but I chose not to get it. I had dealt with the pain for that far, and I wanted to experience delivery without it. I pushed for almost 2 hours I think, but it felt a lot shorter than that! The doctor almost didn't make it, and the nurses were all ready to deliver him without my doctor. Luckily she arrived JUST in time, and finally Cash was here! The doctor said "wow, this is a big baby for a tiny girl like you!" haha, and he was! 8lbs, 7oz. Looking back, it seems like labour and delivery weren't nearly as bad as everyone makes it seem to be, but maybe I just got lucky. Yes, it was very painful, but the instant I saw that baby I forgot all the pain..

 It was so worth it! He looked EXACTLY like Curt, it was so weird haha. My moms first words were "wow, its like looking at Curtis's baby pictures!" Nikki went out to tell Curt, and he started crying. I was in the delivery room 3 hours before he was able to see Cash, and wow was that ever hard on him. He was pacing the floor, so impatient ! haha. He kept texting me, asking how I was and how proud he was of me for getting through it so strong and how much he already loved Cash even though he hadn't even seen him yet. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to know your child was just a few feet away but not being able to see him!

 
Well when he finally did see him, he was SUCH a proud daddy, and cried the first time he saw him.. and for days after that haha. You can see in this picture how much joy that little boy brought to him in such a short period of time. It was an amazing feeling and experience for both of us to have this baby. We instantly felt such an incredible love for Cash, and words cant describe that unless you are a mother yourself. Cash was so beautiful, I couldn't stop staring at him! It's amazing how much love you can feel for someone so sudden. But in my heart, I also knew D&Y were his real parents. It was an amazing experience, and I wouldn't change any of it now. Although painful, labor and delivery made me so thrilled for the day when I can be married and have more children of my own, to feel that same love that I felt for Cash the moment he was born for my other children.  
I am having difficulty doing this, so I am going to go to bed and there will be more to come soon. I just didn't want to miss yet another day posting a blog. Perhaps the next post will be on the days I spent with him, and the placement. Loves! 

OH and ps, I think everyone in the whole world should read this post and this post by Stef. Hope thats okay with her that I'm adding a link, but I thought it was absolutely amazzing and sums up what I feel. I'll add my own thoughts as soon as I sober up from these meds hahah. 

1 comment:

  1. Ummmm. Without an epidural??? Are you kidding me? You're a lot braver than I am! GEEZ! Cash is a freaking stud. :) I hope you recover from the wisdom teethness!

    ReplyDelete